Call Now For A Free Consultation



Se Habla Español

Blog – Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A.

Workers' Compensation & Personal Injury Information

How To Prep For Workers Compensation


The reality tv show “Doomsday Preppers” is about families who are preparing for the end of the world.  Everyday ordinary people who believe that life as we know it will end due to earthquakes, nuclear war or cyber-warfare, or some other disaster.  What’s remarkable is that the preppers are prepared for catastrophes that may or may not ever happen. We can learn from the preppers.  Maybe we don’t need to prepare for global earthquakes, but the way preppers know exactly what to do in moments of crisis is something positive we can all apply in our own lives. At Chhabra and Gibbs,...

Continue reading

Common Questions in Social Security Part Three

Social Security

Under social security, Is it important to receive medical treatment for the conditions which cause me to be unable to work? YES.  It is extremely important to receive medical treatment for those conditions which cause you to be disabled.  The social security administration and the judges rely on this information to make a determination about your disability.   What should I do if I cannot afford medical treatment for my conditions that cause me to be disabled under social security? You should contact my office at the number below in order to receive a list of low cost or free medical clinics around the...

Continue reading

Common Questions in Social Security Part Two

Social Security

Should I have an attorney to help me with my social security appeals? Yes.  Attorneys who work in the area of social security are familiar with what needs to be shown in order for you to receive a favorable decision of being disabled.  Attorneys are must better prepared to handle the hearing and the questions from the judge and to the vocational expert. How are attorneys paid for their work on my social security case? If the attorney fee agreement is approved, the attorney receives 25% of the back benefits to which you are entitled, up to a maximum of $6,000.  The attorney...

Continue reading

Common Questions in Social Security Part One

Social Security

Can I receive disability if I have returned to work? Yes.  If you were disabled and unable to work for 12 months or more, you can apply for a closed period of disability for the time you were out of work.  A closed period of disability is for those individuals who could not work for a period of 12 or more months but recovered and were able to return to work. Can you receive social security benefits if you are only temporarily disabled? Yes.  See No. 1 above regarding a closed period of disability. How long does it take to be approved for social...

Continue reading

I’m hurt but I want to Keep my Job

keep job

Unfortunately, many people who decide to hire a lawyer in a workers’ compensation case wait until something bad happens.  Quite often, people wait until they are terminated before seeking a free consultation.  This is a big mistake.  Unfortunately, in Mississippi, you cannot sue your employer for wrongful termination that arose out of a workers’ compensation claim.  There is some good news though.  If you get fired after a workers’ compensation injury, it provides you with valuable evidence to help make your claim for permanent disability but there are certain things that you must do to establish this claim effectively.  You...

Continue reading

Can I choose my Own Doctor?

Physician Doctor

Yes, but hurry.  The recent change to the Workers’ Compensation Act takes away the right to choose your own doctor if you treat with the company choice for more than 6 months or if you have a surgery. Many times when people are hurt on the job, they are sent to the company doctor.  What people don’t realize is that they are entitled by law to choose their own physician and the company has to pay for it.  Companies will often ask you to sign a form saying that you accept the company doctor as your choice.  Signing this form is...

Continue reading

How many weeks am I entitled to be paid if I get hurt at work?

Hurt on the job contractor

There are two types of disability payments, temporary and permanent.  The law allows up to 450 weeks of payments total up to the state maximum for the year of the injury.  The maximum for an injury occurring in 2013 is $202,104.  The benefits generally start as weekly or bi-weekly checks until the temporary period ends and the permanent period begins.  The change from temporary to permanent usually occurs when a person reached Maximum Medical Improvement (MMI).  This is normally determined by the treating physician when they feel that treatment has reached a plateau (unfortunately this does not always mean complete healing...

Continue reading

Owner May Not Be At Fault From Slip and Fall

slip fall

Just because you slipped or tripped and fell on someone's property doesn't mean that they are automatically responsible for your injuries. In a slip and fall case, the law requires you to show that the business or property owner knew or should have known about the dangerous condition before the accident. If you are unable to show that the business or property owner knew or should have known about the condition on the property, your case can be dismissed. Proving that an owner should have known (i.e. had constructive knowledge) about a dangerous condition is usually difficult. In order to assist...

Continue reading

Workers’ Compensation benefits. How Long and How Much?


You are entitled to medical benefits immediately in Mississippi.  If you miss more than 5 days of work then you are also entitled to compensation benefits while you are off work.  You will generally be entitled to 2/3rds of your average weekly wage up to the state maximum for that year. The state maximum for an injury occurring in 2013 is $449.12.   Figuring out your average weekly wage is not always an exact science but it should be fair to the worker.  It includes wages, overtime, mileage, per diem’s, housing or any other form of compensation averaged over the previous...

Continue reading

Hurt at Work and Company Doctor is Not Helping

helping laws

What do I do if I am hurt and the company doctor is not helping? First, you have a right to a choice of physician if you have not already made one, unless you treated with the company choice for more than 6 months or had a surgery.  Miss. Code Ann. § 71-3-15 requires an employer to furnish any and all medical treatment necessary for recovery of the work related injury.   As the injured employee, you have the right to accept the services of a doctor recommended by your employer; or you may exercise your right to select a competent doctor...

Continue reading
Translate »