FB Pixel


Call Now For A Free Consultation



Se Habla Español

Family Immigration

Family Immigration - Immigration Practice Areas

Our Mississippi Immigration Legal Team will meet with you to determine eligibility of relatives or future relatives such as fiance or child to immigrate to United States.

There are a number of steps to the process of obtaining a “Green Card” which you and your family member must complete in order to be successful.

  • You must qualify by having a close relationship with who resides in the United States either as a citizen or a permanent resident.
  • Your family member must prepare a Petition for Alien Relative (I-130 form) and file it with the USCIS (United States Citizenship and Immigration Services). Your relative must attach documents which prove your family relationship. This is best accomplished with the assistance of qualified legal counsel.
  • Upon receipt of the application, the matter is referred to the Department of State to find out if there is an immigrant visa number available for your family-based category. You may apply for a number once one becomes available on the State Department Visa Bulletin.
  • If you are outside the U.S. you must go to the U.S. Consulate in your area to compete the processing before the number becomes yours. If you are already in the U.S. your next step is to seek adjustment of status to permanent resident.

The I-130 form is not completely self-explanatory. There are pitfalls to avoid, particularly for married couples with prior divorces, and for parents who weren’t married at the time of birth of their petitioning son or daughter.

We will help you start the process by meeting with you to determine if your relative meets the requirements for admission. We will then prepare and file Form I-130 which is the Petition for an Alien Relative. The filing of this Petition gives your relative a place in line. When your relative reaches the front of the line, he or she should be eligible to immigrate after passing the required background checks.

When petitioning for your relative, the following preference categories apply:

  • First : Unmarried, adult sons and daughters of U.S. citizens. (Adult means 21 or older)
  • Second (2A): Spouses of green card holders, unmarried children (under 21) of permanent residents
  • Second (2B):  Unmarried adult sons and daughters of permanent residents
  • Third : Married sons and daughters (any age) of U.S. citizens
  • Fourth : Brothers and sisters of adult U.S. citizens

Additional Family Immigration that we can assist with are Green Cards for DACA & TPS holders, Adjustment of Status through Marriage, Adjustment of Status through Parent/Child, I-130 with Provisional Waiver, K1-K3 Marriage Visas, Obtaining Green Cards Through Marriage, Parents of US Citizens, Provisional Unlawful Presence Waiver, Same Sex Marriage, and Sibling Immigration.

Contact us now



    If your case is one we are able to help with or need to investigate further, we will get back to you within 24 hours. Inquiring for representation of our firm through this site does not guarantee an attorney-client relationship. Should you not receive contact from our firm, Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. within 24 hours of your submission, we recommend that you reach out to another firm so any time restraints regarding your potential case are not missed.

    By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Chhabra & Gibbs P.A.. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.


    Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A.

    aAggressive Workers' Comp & Personal Injury Attorneys
    Translate »