FB Pixel


Call Now For A Free Consultation



Se Habla Español

The Green Card: What Is It, And How Does It Work?

Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. > Blog Posts  > The Green Card: What Is It, And How Does It Work?

The Green Card: What Is It, And How Does It Work?

Green Card

People from all over the world would die to have one. It is tough to get and can be an expensive process. Only a select few ultimately obtain it. I am talking about the Legal Permanent Residence (LPR) card or green card. The term green card is actually a misnomer because while the card used to be a green color, it is not green anymore. The card or document acts as proof of a person’s status in the United States.

Generally speaking, there are multiple ways for a person to obtain a green card. Someone could get one through a U-visa, S-visa, T-visa, or the SIJS process, but these options are not as common. The most common way that a green card is obtained by a person who is admitted to the United States with an immigrant visa or who has been granted adjustment of status. An immigrant visa is generally achieved after a relative or employer petitions on behalf of a foreign national to gain admission to the United States. The term adjustment of status refers to the process of obtaining a Legal Permanent Residence Card in the United States without having to actually leave the United States.

Lawful Permanent Residence can also be obtained after a person has been granted asylum or was admitted to the United States as a refugee. Finally, a person who has been in the United States for more than ten years and is able to establish the requisite degree of hardship may be granted permanent residency following the “cancellation” of removal proceedings. The term removal proceedings refers to the procedure to eject persons who are seeking admission as well as those who have been admitted to the United States.


When you get a green card, certain rights come with it. A green card holder may reside permanently in the United States without fear of deportation. Any person with a green card also has the right to work while they live in the United States. If you or your loved one want to find out more about getting a green card, please give our Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. Immigration Team a call at 601-927-8430 or 601-948-8005 or by using our live chat, so we can discuss your options. If you already have a green card and have questions about how to become a naturalized United States citizen, we can help you through this process as well.


Translate »