Do you Qualify for Social Security Disability and How to Apply for it?
If you believe you are disabled, and not capable of working for a period of at least 12 months, then you are eligible to apply for Social Security Disability benefits. To apply for disability benefits, you can either apply online at ssa.gov or you can call in the Social Security Administration at 1-800-772-1213. You may also apply in person at your local Social Security office.
What Information Do I Need in Order to Apply for Social Security Disability?
To apply for Social Security Disability benefits you will need to be prepared to answer questions
regarding the following topics:
• Basic information about you (name, address, date of birth, social security number, place of
• Marriages and divorces (including spouse’s date of birth, when marriage began and ended (if
applicable), place of marriage)
• Names and dates of birth of your children
• Specifics about military service (if applicable)
• Employment details for the current year and the past 2 years (including employer name, start
and end dates and earnings). If self-employed, you need the name and type of business and the
total net income for the business for the current year and the past 2 years)
• Bank account information (including account number and bank routing number)
• Alternate contact (someone Social Security can contact that knows about your medical condition)
• List of your medical conditions
• Names, addresses and phone numbers for each doctor, clinic, or hospital you have been to and
the dates of treatments
• Any medical tests you have had performed and the name of the doctor that referred you for
• List of any medications you are currently taking (including the doctor who prescribed them and
what the medication is being taken for)
• Onset date (date when your disability began to affect your ability to work)
• The types of jobs and job duties you had in the past 15 years
• Education and Specialized Training information
If you are interested in applying for social security disability in Mississippi or have any questions regarding social security disability, please contact attorney Teresa E. Harvey with CG Law Group at 601- 948-8005 for a Free consultation. CG Law Group is our dedicated to helping the needs of estate and chancery work, social security disability, and discrimination cases and is affiliated with Chhabra & Gibbs P.A.