FB Pixel


Call Now For A Free Consultation



Se Habla Español

Insurance Questions After a Car Wreck

Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. > Blog Posts  > Insurance Questions After a Car Wreck

Insurance Questions After a Car Wreck

Car wreck

Insurance Questions After Dealing With a Car Wreck.


What happens if I have a car wreck and I don’t have car insurance?


In Mississippi, the law requires that every person driving a car be able to provide proof of insurance coverage.  Failure to have insurance can subject you to penalties and fines, but it is much worse if you have a car wreck that is your fault.    You can always be sued whether you have insurance or not, but without insurance you would liable for all of the damages.  This could subject you to garnishment and/or seizure of your assets.  Also, you could lose your driver’s license.


The best way to prevent this problem is to make sure you always have insurance coverage while you are driving.


How does uninsured motorist coverage work in Mississippi?


Uninsured or under-insured motorist coverage is insurance to cover you when you have an accident involving a car wreck with someone else that does not have insurance or does not have enough insurance to cover your damages.  In Mississippi, UM coverage comes automatically with every policy.  And for each car on the policy you can “stack” the coverage.  In other words, $25k of coverage for each of 3 vehicles on a policy will equate to $75k in coverage.  If the other person has no insurance, then your carrier may have to pay up to $75k for you medical bills, lost wages, and pain and suffering.  If the other person has $25k of insurance in this example then your carrier would have to cover the difference of $50k if you have that much in damages.


The bottom line is that UM coverage is insurance you are buying for you.  So when buying UM coverage you should ask yourself how much you need to protect yourself if you have a serious injury, can’t work, and suffer a lot of pain.  You should keep in mind that UM coverage is very inexpensive compared to other components of your policy.  You should also ask yourself whether you want to insure everyone else on the road more than you insure yourself.  At Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. We highly recommend that you purchase the amount of UM coverage that you need and can afford, and do not waive UM coverage on any vehicle policy.


If you are in the process of buying insurance and have questions about UM coverage, feel free to call our office at 601-948-8005 for free advice on what coverage will best suit your needs.


What do I do if I have been in a car wreck that was the other person’s fault and they have no insurance?


Hopefully you have insurance as the law requires.  And hopefully you did not waive your uninsured motorist coverage.  You should report the accident to your insurance company and ask them to address any repairs to your car immediately.  If you were injured you should get treated immediately.  Waiting to treat makes it appear that you are not really hurt.  And last you should contact an attorney to discuss your rights.  If you call our office at 601-948-8005 we are always glad to give you a free confidential consult.


Rogen K. Chhabra


If you have been injured in a car wreck in Mississippi, give Chhabra & Gibbs, P.A. a call today by dialing 601-948-8005 or by going to our website where we have a live chat available for you. There is no fee to discuss your potential case with us.


Translate »